Friday, April 5, 2019

Website? Did THAT!

     Today in class I got ahead on the completion of the website. With the exception of the biographies, the poster on the "Where To Watch" page, and the first full episode linked to the front page, the website is finished! I wrote everything featured on the "About" page and will be sharing it in this post. I also had my friend Maddie review the writing before finalizing so I got a second opinion. 
     The first section titled "The Series" includes a subheader that reads: "This is a series about real Americans whose roots first grew elsewhere." I chose to make this portion straightforward about the details of the piece, including the amount of people, the locations, and what the series is about. The two paragraph reads as follows:

"New Seeds" documents the lives of immigrants living in the United States today. Each episode focuses on a different individual and the life they've lived so far, both inside and outside the US. The series is available to stream on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Showtime. 
The series so far has amplified the voices of 4 people, all with different origins. Our series takes audiences to California, Michigan, Tallahassee, and South Florida where viewers are introduced to people of all ages who have come to the United States to plant new seeds and grow in the direction of the American Dream.

     The next section about the series' mission includes a subheader that reads: "Immigrants aren't aliens or "illegal." They're human too." This section encompasses the purpose of the series, giving readers background information on the conditions that prompted the topic of discussion. One of the main reasons I adore documentary work is that it's rooted in real life and that is what this section is intended to establish. I even did some research for one of the things I mention, which is the statistic about the percentage of immigrants in the US work force. The link to the page can be found in the works cited section at the end of this blog post. The description of the text reads: 

The media has done a disappointing job at portraying immigrants in the US positively. The topic of immigration became a key subject for discussion in the 2016 election and has remained one ever since. It's wrong to continue nurturing the narrative that immigrants are all rapists or taking our jobs. It's time for people to welcome their new neighbors.
Our docuseries aims to change the outlook and attitude people have towards immigrants by documenting their lives. We believe that we should be welcoming immigrants into our communities not because they account for 17% of the civilian labor force or contribute to our society, but because they're human beings with stories who deserve to be seen as such. That is why we are sharing their stories: to show the world that immigrants are people just like those of us considered natural citizens in our countries.

     The last section about myself, the creator, also has a subheader reading: "I create with the purpose of increasing visibility for others and the communities I am a part of." In this section, I provide background information on myself that serves as a basis for my qualifications, such as the fact I am a future USC film student and am a minority with understanding for topics such as those discussed in my series. I state my personal mission and purpose as well as my inspiration for this project. The section reads: 

My name is Lau Rodriguez and I am the young filmmaker who has developed this project into what it is today. I am an incoming USC film student with a dream to create content that propels society forward. As a transgender man of color, I understand the importance of using our privilege and platform to uplift and amplify the voices of those who are often ignored and silenced.
I was originally inspired to produce this docuseries because of my mother. She is an immigrant herself and is featured as the first person focused on in the series. I look up to her with reverence for the hard work she exhibits to take care of herself and I. I'm often pained by the conditions she endures due to her immigrant status and the language barrier she faces. I wanted to honor her and others like her with the purpose of convincing others to do the same. 

     I will hopefully upload the biographies to the website very soon. I'll be continuing the editing of my piece, designing the series' social media, and planning the CCR thoroughly in the next 3 days. Keep yall updated! 

Works Cited:
https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states#Geography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Components

Here are the final products for my portfolio:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M72EHzKZIeqYTHNnsG7CsX76Hche1bE1/view?usp=sharing http...