Sunday, March 10, 2019

My Role(s)

     "Girl, Rising" is an interesting documentary that revolves around the lives of 9 girls from around the world who have worked to overcome their unfortunate cirumstances. My teacher pointed at this piece for inspiration in regards to narration and after observing the first story about the Peruvian girl, Senna, I have made a decision on how the narration in my own piece would sound like. 
     Senna only spoke in Spanish, so Salma Hayek translated Senna's story that she had told her into English. However, Hayek narrates the piece in first person. While I found this mode of communication very effective in its respective documentary, I don't believe it would necessarily fit my own. My documentary is significantly less emotional in comparison to "Girl, Rising" because of the different situations the subjects are in. Nonetheless, I think narration in the third person would be appropriate for my documentary. I'd be the one narrating by depicting a condensed image of my mother's life in the past and present. The interviews would serve as her personal account of the situations I dictate, demonstrating how she felt during a particular event or how she feels about her daily routine, for example. 
     Aside from being the narrator, interviewer, director, and producer, I had initially had in mind to add myself as an interviewee. I have decided against this original thought after discussing it with my instructor, realizing how it could compromise the integrity of the piece if I was to be featured as someone answering questions I designed. That being said, my final roles in the making of this documentary will be as follows: narrator, interviewer, director, and producer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Components

Here are the final products for my portfolio:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M72EHzKZIeqYTHNnsG7CsX76Hche1bE1/view?usp=sharing http...