Friday, March 23, 2018

Houston, We Have a Few Problems

     It may seem like rainbows and sunshine over here in pre-production land, but the truth is I have encountered a few problems during my time planning this project. A couple of obstacles I have discovered are technical filming problems. 
     First, there's a point of view shot in the first scene of the introduction that I'm not quite sure how I'll film. The shot can be observed in the blog post I made with my first storyboard, however, I am going to include a picture of the specific frame here: 
Holding the camera down in such a way for the amount of time needed for it to be completely still is hypothetically difficult. I've considered a single solution. I could create a contraption that would allow the camera to remain hanging above the phone without me needing to hold it in place. Almost like a make shift stabilizer. I am continuing to brainstorm other possible answers to my predicament, so if I think of any others I will update my progress through here. 
     Second, my gut is telling me that there is a high chance my entire introduction will run over time. On one hand, there are a lot of shots I have included in the scenes. On the other hand, some of the cuts are fast and the dialogue isn't overbearingly long. Luckily, I envisioned the small scene after April and Lucy/Luke finish eating at the restaurant, as seen here, to be necessary for the short film as a whole, but not completely necessary to the 2 minute introduction. The scene adds more direction to the introduction without a doubt. Nevertheless, if the introduction is running overtime because the scene causes it to do so, then I have accepted I'll have to omit that last portion of my storyboard. 
    Third, I briefly questioned how I would be able to include the dialogue spoken by the characters during the wide shot of the two friends walking away from the restaurant. Illustrated here: 
I left this concern for last because this is the one conflict I was able to resolve almost immediately. I plan to record the scene from when they begin talking in both the medium shot, seen here 

as well as the wide shot. Even though the words spoken at first will be heard while the pair is viewed via a long shot, they will have been recorded and the audio will have been extracted from the video of the medium shot that comes right after the long shot. With this, the audio will not vary in closeness or sound weird because of noticeable differences in quality.  
     I'm actually glad I am finding these small issues within my planning because it reflects the reality of every day tasks that require thinking in order to resolve a problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Components

Here are the final products for my portfolio:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M72EHzKZIeqYTHNnsG7CsX76Hche1bE1/view?usp=sharing http...