Tuesday, April 3, 2018

It's a Filmmaker's Hard Life

     Before any updates on the post production magic, I want to document several complications I encountered on the day I was filming. 
     First, one of my actor's cancelled on me last minute and wasn't able to play Luke. Therefore I improvised and used my friend who was playing Gabriel as both characters. It's a sloppy last minute choice I hope doesn't ruin my film, but the costumes are different and the way that the characters talk are somewhat different per acting choice of my friend. I would have played Luke myself. However, I felt unsure letting another person handle the camera, and since several of the planned shots were fairly complicated, I decided it was better I stay behind the camera. 
     Second, filming the first scene was EXCEPTIONALLY difficult. I was not able to be behind the camera for a majority of the frames shot because the camera was practically propped up against the wall using the small tripod I showed in my last post, and I had to rely on a film + check video approach to make sure I was capturing the shots I wanted to. 
     Third, I had completely forgotten that the restaurant I chose as one of the locations for filming played music outside where I planned to set up the scene. I don't think it's very audible from what I've observed, but there is a possibility that there will be an inconsistency in the song playing in the background. Additionally, there was a very loud family sitting a couple tables nearby that may have intercepted the audio, but I trust that my audio editing skills can pull through to enhance the dialogue and dilute the diegetic sounds from the audio so they don't compromise the consistency of the scene. 
     Lastly, the lighting was not good for the camera I use. I am not well versed in cameras and playing around with their different modes. That being said, I had to work with what I could and managed to capture very good shots regardless. I hope to learn more about my camera as I progress in my potential film career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Components

Here are the final products for my portfolio:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M72EHzKZIeqYTHNnsG7CsX76Hche1bE1/view?usp=sharing http...