Thursday, March 22, 2018

The Name Is Bond, James Bond

     No one's name in this film is James or Bond or James Bond contrary to the silly title of this post. But the good news is, I have finally named the characters of this story. 
     The main character's name will be April. In English, the name stands for the "opening buds of Spring" and is reflective of the season of Spring. The name given to this particular character highlights the potential growth ahead of her and the beauty that comes out of a cold, rough Winter. 
     The gay male character will be named Gabriel. This name translates to mean "God is my strength." I wanted to add depth to this character even though he isn't a prominent figure in the grand scheme of things. The inspiration for a name associated to religion derives from my reading of a personal essay from the book "Gender Outlaws" by Kate Bornstein and S. Bear Bergman in which a queer male describes how his belief in God has helped him cope with coming out and his experience as a gay man. Regardless of the toxic words he delivers to April without realizing the severity of his actions, I think challenging the common idea that being gay and religious are separate identities contributes to the dismantling of common false beliefs about the LGBTQ+ community. I don't plan to make his religion a central theme in the narrative, but I see no harm in having him wear a visible cross around his neck and briefly mention something about going to his old church during the break. 
     The friend from high school will go by Lucy or Luke, depending on the gender the actor for that role identifies as. As a French and English feminine given name, Lucy means "of light," deriving from the Latin masculine name Lucius. Relating to light, like the beacon of light and hope Luke/Lucy will be for April, is fitting for the character. 
     Last but not least, the abusive girlfriend's name will be Maria. There are several interpretations of the name Maria. However various individuals believe it means  "sea of bitterness" or "sea of sorrow." Considering a sea of sorrow is what she drowns April in, the name is also fitting for this respective character. 
     In my next post, I will be uploading the finalized version of the 2 minute introduction's storyboard. I have already begun drafting a script, which will hopefully be done by tomorrow. I am currently locating a website or program that will help me properly format the short film's script. I will make sure to keep you guys updated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Components

Here are the final products for my portfolio:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M72EHzKZIeqYTHNnsG7CsX76Hche1bE1/view?usp=sharing http...