Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Critics, Reviews, and All That Jazz

     I have chosen to write 3 extended reviews for my series that will be featured in the "Press" page on my website. I used this website https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-film-critics-from-united-states-of-america/reference to choose the critics the reviews would be written by. Originally, I had chosen A. O. Scott, B. Ruby Rich, and David Edelstein because of their qualifications. I settled with Scott because he is the chief film critic for the New York Times and I deemed Rich a perfect fit to critique because she is a "critic of independent, Latin American, documentary and gay films" and works as "a professor of Film & Digital Media and Social Documentation also known as "SocDoc" at UC Santa Cruz." Her background in documentation is vast, considering "she has also taught documentary film and queer studies during spring semesters at UC Berkeley." Moreover, I had used David Edelstein because of his job as a film critic on NPR's Fresh Air until I learned that he was laid off from his job at NPR for making an inappropriate, disgusting rape joke on air. I liked the idea of having someone from NPR, which is considered an informative and reliable media outlet, be a critic of the series, so I chose to base one of the critiques off of Bob Mondello who has worked at NPR since 1984 where he is the arts, film, and theater commentator for All Things Considered. I didn't want to write blind reviews, therefore I sought sample reviews each individual has written to use as models. I am observing Rich's 2001 review of "Back to the Future," Scott's recent review of the movie "Climax," and Mondello's 2019 review of "Hotel Mumbai" as examples of their written reviews. The three reviews can be found as links in the sources listed at the end of this post. 
     Aside from people critiquing the series, I wanted to include certifications from publications of film rating institutions as well. This included featuring the series as a "Critic's Pick" in both the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times. I also used Rolling Stone's 5-star rating system and Rotten Tomatoes "Fresh" meter to measure the quality of the series. These ratings aren't elaborated on but are displayed above the reviews in the "Press" page as pictured below: 

Sources: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Components

Here are the final products for my portfolio:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M72EHzKZIeqYTHNnsG7CsX76Hche1bE1/view?usp=sharing http...