Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Genre: Self Explanatory? Not Quite

     I realized I haven't addressed what specific genre my short film will be. My film is without a doubt dramatic. But today I had a discussion with my teacher about whether my film would fall under "LGBT+ Drama" or simply "Drama" because it revolves around queer characters and a lesbian relationship. Upon further research, I have chosen to have my film be regarded as a dramatic film, rather than a queer dramatic film.
     I have several reasons as to why I have omitted including "LGBT+" in the genre of my film. The emergence of a "LGBT+" genre is indisputable. With Netflix having a queer genre as one of its main categories for their content, queer movies are becoming evidently more popular. However, despite the specification making it easier to find movies about LGBT+ topics, separating LGBT+ content poses no significant difference in defining the movie. For example, some of the more popular queer films released in the last two decades are considered dramatic or romantic by official websites such as Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB.
     Award shows like the Oscars don't recognize the difference between a dramatic LGBT+ movie and a dramatic movie either, mostly because they both include similar elements of drama that make the movie dramatic. 
     I've chosen to stick with a solely dramatic genre for my film since I don't feel it's necessary to distinguish the film as an "LGBT+" film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Components

Here are the final products for my portfolio:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M72EHzKZIeqYTHNnsG7CsX76Hche1bE1/view?usp=sharing http...