Monday, April 8, 2019

Yes They Do Officer!

     So you guys remember how I had uploaded a skeleton for the profile requirements a minute ago to show what I was looking for in the biography writing process? Well, my amazing, spectacular girlfriend (full bias) was the first one of my subjects to fill it out. Here is what she said: 


Name: Sarah Romestant
Age: 18
Country of Origin: Venezuela
Current Location: Tallahassee, Fl. United States
Brief description of the following:
Life before coming to US/After: I was born in Venezuela in 2001, to a 17-year-old mother and a 19-year-old father. At the beginning of my childhood, I spent a lot of time with my father’s family while my parents went through college. I would come home after school and spend the afternoon with my great grandmother, and be picked up by my parents when they got home from school or work. When the political climate of my country got too unstable, my parents decided it was time for us to move. When I was 8, I moved to Écully, which was a small town in the southeast of France so that my father could pursue a business degree. We moved into an apartment and got a lot of help from my grandmother with finances. Two and a half years later, after my father obtained his Masters, he got a job offer in Bogota, so we moved to Colombia. After three years of living there, his company transferred him to Miami, so we moved to Florida. My house in Weston was the first house we had ever lived in that was fully owned by us. We spent the better part of four years living in Weston, until my dad got a job offer from Amazon and moved to Seattle. When I finished high school, my mother went to live with him in Seattle, and I stayed in Florida and moved to Tallahassee to go to college.
Intention in coming to US: My parents have always aimed for the best. They were amazing students, and went to the best college in Venezuela; they have a constant fuel to do better. Since I was young, they’ve believed that the United States held the most opportunities for both them and I, and it has always been a goal of theirs to move here and obtain our papers. 
Goals for the US: We moved here to further my dad’s computer science career, and to give me the opportunity to attend an American university, because my parents believe I will find the most career opportunities here. 
Education (both in US/Non-US): I spent the first 13 years of my life in French education. I went to a French school in Venezuela, a public school in France, and a French school in Colombia. When we moved to the US, I had never studied in English, but had learned the language from television. Due to a lack of good international schools near the Miami area, I had to go to a public high school, and accommodate to studying completely in English rather than completely in French. In the fall of 2018, after graduating high school, I started attending Florida State University.
Profession: I am pursuing an Environmental Engineering degree.
Family life (both in US/Non-US): A lot of my family has tried moving here to the US and away from Venezuela, but a good majority simply dispersed around the world. After leaving Venezuela, my family ended up in Panama, Colombia, France, Canada, the Czech Republic, Germany, and tons of other places. I still have some family left in Venezuela, but we are urging them to leave.
Problems encountered in US: I was fortunate enough to move to a place like South Florida, meaning Latino/Black people were a common thing to encounter, and diverse groups weren’t discriminated against as much as they could be in the rest of the country, which was something I was scared of. However, I did experience a very big cultural shock, and had a very had time adapting to the “American” life. No matter where I had lived before, I was used to the culture and way of living, because my family had been immersed in them all, but this was a completely new environment, and I felt like I didn’t belong. I still feel like I am losing a part of myself, my French and Venezuelan side, because I am just so immersed in trying to get used to living in the US. 
What you like about living in US: I like all the opportunity found in this country, and all the different ways people choose to live their lives. Although it was a huge adaptation, I’m used to moving around every couple of years, and I feel like this is something that had to happen in my life. I enjoy the mixture of all different cultures found in this country, and the many success stories. In my time here, I’ve met the strongest people I know (like Lau), and I’ve grown into someone I’m proud of. I am also very glad that my dad got to pursue his dream career and build his way up in the technological world!

     I was able to condense this information into a single paragraph which I've already uploaded onto the website as her biography. This is how it reads: 

Sarah Romestant is an 18-year-old college student born in Venezuela to young parents who were working on their education, moving to France at the age of 8. Two and a half years later, her family moved to Bogota, Colombia for her father’s work only for him to be transferred to Miami 3 years later. Sarah was new to the US education system, having studied in the French system for 13 years. Due to a lack of good international schools near the Miami area, Sarah had to go to Cypress Bay high school and accommodate to studying completely in English rather than completely in French. She expresses being fortunate enough to have moved to South Florida where minorities, specifically Latin minorities, are more integrated and less discriminated against. However, she cites having experienced severe culture shock and a hard time adapting to the “American” life. She is currently studying environmental engineering at Florida State University. 

     My other subjects have yet to send me their completed profile requirements. Granted, I did ask for a lot of information. I just wanted to guarantee that I'd get a plethora of information to extract from. I am hopefully going to complete my mom's biography today and start editing my CCR. I'll see you guys soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Components

Here are the final products for my portfolio:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M72EHzKZIeqYTHNnsG7CsX76Hche1bE1/view?usp=sharing http...