Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Establishing My Official Idea

     Going off my previous post, I would still like to base my movie on a queer couple. Preferably a queer couple of color. Because I have an abundance of queer friends, again with no solid background in acting, I am compelled to follow through with this idea. The mental image I have created is to illustrate the problem of domestic abuse within queer couples and how the violence, specifically between lesbian couples, is often brushed off as a "cat fight." The one obstacle I have encountered has been how to fit in that message in the initial 2 minutes of the film. However, I have faith that figuring that out when I am elaborating on the idea and creating the story's plot won't be a problem because of the various kinds of film openings that exist. If I have to resort to creating a direct address of memento film opening, then I will make that work as best as possible.
     More importantly as of now, I want to first conduct further research on how the two main types of domestic violence, physical and emotional, have already been portrayed on screen. Second, I would like to collect more information on the problems with the erasure of violence in queer couples. For this specific part of the research, I plan to contact a friend from the debate camp I attended last summer who dedicated her time there to crafting an argument that pinpoints the causes for the issue, highlights the effects, and proposes a resolution. I remember her evidence included articles and pieces of literature depicting domestic violence in queer couples, so I will be asking her to send me all of what she collected over the two weeks of camp so that I can assure my own vision of the problem is consistent with the trends presented in society. Once I have gathered all of my research, I will roughly map out the plot and create the main characters. After this, I would like to start looking for people to cast, locations to film, and plan when I want to shoot so that I have adequate time to edit my piece. I have already began thinking of potential shooting locations in South Florida that could establish the setting well. Some include: 
     - The Perez Art Museum Miami (PAMM)
     - Ocean Drive 
     - Krispy Kreme (although this one may not necessarily reveal setting right away, I could kill for some donuts while filming, AND it's an ideal date spot)
     - Wilton Manors
     - Out of the Closet 
     - 100 Montaditos @ Miami Lakes Town Center (another AMAZING date spot) 
     - Venetian Pool 
     Eventually when I have decided on how certain locations will align with the plot, I'll have to contact the locations and coordinate filming. For some locations, however, I'll have to contact prior to solidifying a plot with locations. For instance, I'm not entirely sure PAMM allows filming to take place within the building, so I'll have to call or email to make sure that I can film there. The last thing I would like to do is to establish settings in my plot and then have those settings be unavailable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Components

Here are the final products for my portfolio:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M72EHzKZIeqYTHNnsG7CsX76Hche1bE1/view?usp=sharing http...